Section I: Work of the Holy Spirit - John 16:5-16  

RSS

Drawing Near to God
Eminent Member
15/05/2017 1:17 pm  

5 But now I am going to him who sent me, and none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ 6 But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7 Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; 11 concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14 He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15 All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

16 “A little while, and you will see me no longer; and again a little while, and you will see me.”

• Why does Jesus tell His disciples that it is good for Him to go away?
  • As Nehemiah inspected the walls and the Holy Spirit inspects your broken-down walls, what do you think is your part in repairing the damage?
  • What is God’s part?
Edited: 7 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Elise Booz
Eminent Member
16/05/2017 5:08 pm  

Jesus said it was good for him to go away, because then the 'comforter,' the Holy Spirit would come.  Unlike Jesus' human body, the Holy Spirit can speak to, and guide all of his followers at once, no matter the time, or location.   Like Jesus said, the Holy Spirit is able to convict the whole world of sin, righteousness and judgement. 

As the Holy Spirit inspects our broken-down walls, it's our job to be honest, and open.  We need to be transparent before God, acknowledge our pain and our shortcomings, and be open to his leading.  If we were able to have our 'walls,' together and pristine, then we would have them repaired already!  We're not capable of fixing our messes on our own oftentimes though; only God can lead us and transform us.  He'll repair the damaged walls in our heart, and he'll prompt us if we're broken and open before him.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register